In a time where stars shine,
Where the moon is at its brightest,
Where the birds are silent,
A powerful force drives a young girl.
Stressed over school, she studies.
She is silent. But inside, she screams.
Every concern, worry, and problem
Is magnified. How can she possibly go on?
She wishes all this pressure, all this stress
Can, in some way, be relieved.
She feels no physical pain, yet
The pain is enough to keep her awake.
Her beautiful, jet black hair,
Slowly turns to gray.
Her perfect complexion,
Slowly wrinkles in fear.
The hazel brown eyes,
Slowly begins to shut.
But, she still presses on.
I promised myself I would never be her.
I saw the endless nights she endured,
I saw what it did to her.
Always on edge,
Always wearing only one accessory,
Her frown.
I felt her pain. I urged her to sleep.
But she couldn’t. And I couldn't understand why.
I was naïve. I never felt that stress till high school.
Where every grade mattered, every test counted.
There were no pauses for those who fell behind.
A school filled with rabbits, never stopped for the tortoises.
Slow and steady was not winning the race.
I struggled to keep up, yet I did.
The tortoise took no breaks, keep pressing forward.
I finally felt that force. That undeniable feeling
That compelled me to push through.
B's were unacceptable. A's were expected.
I hated that feeling. But, I still needed their approval.
I did whatever it took.
I stayed up with the owls,
Skipped meals, ignored friends.
But, it seems, no matter what I do,
They will never be satisfied.
Just the life of a Punahou student.
2 comments:
im confused because you wrote from a 3rd person point of view and then near the end you wrote a line of two from your point of view. Are you relating that situation to youself?
I can really relate to this because I feel the same way with all of the pressure to get good grades.
Post a Comment